The canyon of the river Vratna has been known since ancient times for its stone gates and unusual whirlpools , true wonders of nature. On its course of about twenty kilometers, the river Vratna passes through three stone arches or gates, making unique stone bridges.
On the hiking tour, we will go through the picturesque canyon of Vratna, and after that we will visit the mystical Rogljevačke and Rajačke wine cellars, which are a unique architectural complex from the 18th century.
A full day tour in the mystical Eastern Serbia, after which you will be filled with strong impressions.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Novi Sad, by agreement
The parking lot at the municipality New Belgrade
|DEPARTURE TIME||4.30 h (Novi Sad)
6.00 h (Beograd)
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation from Belgrade
Hiking tour through the Vratna canyon
Sightseeing according to the program - Vratna Monastery, Rogljevacke and Rajacke wine cellars
Other individual costs
- Equipment for the tour the Vratna canyon. Deep hiking boots with a vibram sole or deep sports shoes with stronger sole, backpack, layered wardrobe, adapted to weather conditions, we recommend trekking poles, bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruit).
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 10 km
- Total ascend/descend: oko 300 m
- Category: easy, for all ages, we will hike on forest paths, by the river
- Duration: about 4h with breaks
- In organized transportation, it is mandatory to wear protective masks.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, the price is 3500 dinars.
- Transportation from Novi Sad: surcharge is 1000 dinars.
- Own transportation: in case you come by your own transport, the price of the tour is 1500 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 2100 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- The tour is organized for at least 30 registered passengers.
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 3 days before departure.
The attractions you will see
Stone gates of Vratna
They are located in the valley of the Vratna River, which are large walls that make up an organ stone door, created by erosion of the river. There are a total of three: Small and Great Gate and Suva prerast. The small stone gate is 15 m long, and the Great 45 m. Specific woody and bushy flora has settled here in the ice age, with beech, walnut, lilac, ash. About 400 species of grass grow on the rocks and pastures, many of which are medicinal.
The natural beauty of this forest hilly area is complemented by the cultural monument of the Vratna and the same hunting ground with a large flock of mouflons and a deer of the deer paddle.
Rajac and Rogljevo wine cellars
They represent a unique architectural complex of wine cellars built from the mid-18th to the 1930s. The complex consists of 270 pubs around the central square with a fountain in Rajc and 170 in Rogljev. They were built of carved stone and logs, and covered with keramides.
Basements are partially buried in the ground so that the temperature varies very little over the year, and on the first floor there are rooms for staying at the time of harvest and wine cultivation.
Vine's vine was cultivated in the vicinity of Negotin even in Roman times since the 3rd century. In the XIX century, the Negotin Krajina appeared as an exporter of wine to France, Austria, Austria, Germany, Russia. The wines are of superior quality because the local locust is grown on a lively sand along the Danube.
Rajac, Rogljevo and Smedovac three neighboring villages of rich wine history and very attractive pubs make a special part of the Negotin wine cellar. These villages also have the smoothest red wines that are a happy blend of good soil, plenty of sunshine and altitudes of 150 to 250 meters. Among the landscape wines, the great red wine has black wines from prokupca, black burgundy and game. Wines have intense red color, they are pleasant flavors and bugs. White wines are known as Bagrina, Semión, Italian Riesling, Sauvignon and Smederevka.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo. According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Novi Sad - Belgrade - Donji Milanovac - the monastery Vratna
- Departure from Novi Sad at 4.30 AM
- Departure from Belgrade at 6h
- Travel by highway through Požarevac, then along the Đerdap, Golubac and Donji Milanovac.
- Break in Donji Milanovac for 30 minutes.
- Continuation of the trip to the Vratna monastery where we arrive around 10.30 am.
- Sightseeing the monastery Vratna iz XIV veka.
Hiking tour through the Vratna canyon
- Start of hiking tour through the Vratna canyon. The hiking tour starts from the Vratna monastery, goes along the forest road by the river. We will come to unique stone bridges. (Small, Big and Dry Gate).The hiking tour is not exhaustive, the track is circular with a total length of 10 km and a climb of 300 m.
- The expected completion of the hiking tour is around 16h.
Rogljevo and Rajac wine cellars
- After the hiking tour, we head towards Rogljevo wine cellars. The ride takes about 1 hour. The village of Rogljevo has a very interesting architecture from the 19th century. Tour and lunch in a rural household.
- After lunch, departure to Rajac, a neighboring village nearby. Visit Rajac wine cellars, where we will visit cellars and see how wine used to be produced and how it is produced today. Tasting and, if desired, purchase of wine.
- Return to Belgrade where we arrive in the late evening hours.