Eastern Serbia has always intrigued with its mystique. Vlach magic is a part of the cultural heritage of the Vlachs, who are the old population that inhabits the area between the Morava, Timok and the Danube. It is believed that they are the descendants of the Illyrians who inhabited the area of Serbia in the Stone Age. They belong to the Orthodox religion, but many pre-Christian, Indo-European and Paleo-Balkan elements have remained in their religious and ritual life to this day.
The Vlachs respect the forces and laws that apply in nature. On this hiking tour, we will visit ritual places that play a significant role in their customs and mythology.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Novi Sad, by agreement
Belgrade, the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade
|DEPARTURE TIME||5.30h (Novi Sad)
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
Guide, sightseeing according to the program and organization of the tour
Other individual costs
- Equipment for the tour Vlach magic: Deep hiking boots with a vibram sole or deep sports shoes with stronger sole, backpack, layered wardrobe, adapted to weather conditions, we recommend trekking poles, bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruit).
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 18 km
- Total ascend/descend: around 450 m
- Category: easy-moderate, hiking forest trails and dirt roads
- Duration: around 8 hours with breaks
- For the realization of the tour, a minimum of 18 registered passengers is required.
- In organized transportation, it is mandatory to wear protective masks.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, price is 3000 dinars.
- Transportation from Novi Sad: surcharge is 1000 dinars.
- Own transportation: in case you come by your own transport, the price of the tour is 1200 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 1800 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 3 days before departure.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo.
According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Kučevo - Majdanpek
- Departure from Novi Sad at 5.30
- Departure from Belgrade at 7h
- Travel by highway through Požarevac and Kučevo to Majdanpek, where we arrive around 10 am. We will make one break.
- Going to the starting point of hiking.
Hiking tour Vlach magic: Felješana – Danilov's source – Gaura Ursuli – Breza – Kršior cave – Crna reka canyon
- The hiking tour starts near the village of Debeli Lug, then continues through the rainforest Felješana, where there is a preserved forest of Moesian beech more than three centuries old. We go to Danilov's source, a spring with a cascading waterfall and the stone bridge Gaura Ursula, which means "bear cave" in Vlach.
- The ascent to the Breza ridge follows and then to the top of Breza where ours expects a beautiful view of the valley: Valja Fundatu, Starica, Veliki krš and Stol. The adventure continues by descending to the canyon of Crna reka and visiting the Kršior cave.
- Before entering the canyon of the Crna Reka, it must be crossed several times. The river is not particularly wide and deep (width about 3 meters and depth about 20 cm; in some places it can be significantly narrower).
- During the hike on the route, we will see the places where they were performed and where they are performed rituals of the Vlachs - passage to another world (a place where destiny was prophesied and where mermaids fell into a trance), Black wedding, Bonding, a cave in which orgies were held once a year - Strndžanje. We will hear the story of mythological creatures from this area (Muma Paduri, Zmeu, Tartor...)
- Information about a hiking trail: easy-moderate, 18 km long, with duration about 8h with breaks.
- After hiking, it is possible to organize catering or stop for a late lunch at one of the restaurants in Majdanpek.
- Return to Belgrade where we arrive around 10 pm.