Matke Canyon is an incredible natural attraction located near Skopje. What makes this canyon special are the picturesque landscapes and the wealth of natural and cultural attractions. Of the natural ones, we single out the Vrelo cave, which was in the race to win the world wonder of nature, as well as the Matka Lake. Among the cultural attractions, there are as many as a dozen medieval monasteries that ennoble with their appearance and leave behind so many stories and legends. For all lovers of hiking, research, and photography, the Matka Canyon will be a real experience.
Šar-mountain or Šara is a massive mountain region, located on the border of three countries - Serbia, North Macedonia, and Albania. The very name of the mountain has an interesting origin. It was inspired by Šarenila, more precisely because of the large number of plant species that grow on its territory. The mountain is also known for its glacial lakes, called the "eyes of Šara", as well as for its excellent Šarša cheese. Just some of the peaks of Šar mountain are Velika Rudoka, Ljuboten, Peskovi, Bistra, TitovVrh. Climbing Titov Vrh (2,748 m) on the Macedonian side will be our goal on this tour.
Popova Šapka is the most famous ski center in North Macedonia, and once in Yugoslavia. It is located at an altitude of 1700 m. It offers slopes for all levels of skiers, from beginners to advanced skiers. In addition to skiing, it offers opportunities for hiking.
On this two-day tour, beautiful landscapes and moments on Shar await us, exploring the Matka canyon, staying at 1700 m above sea level, starting hiking at sunrise, climbing Titov Vrh, and much more.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||The parking lot at the municipality New Belgrade|
|DEPARTURE TIME||11.50 pm (Friday)|
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
One night with breakfast in a hotel on Popova Šapka na Šara
Guided tour of Skopje
Excursion to Vodno Mountain, cable car ride to the Millennium Cross
Hiking tour and sightseeing of the Matka Canyon
Boat ride in Matka Canyon
Mountaineering tour on Šara
|NOT INCLUDED||Other meals and individual costs not mentioned
- Equipment for the Matka canyon and Šar mountain tour: Deep hiking shoes with Vibram soles, and adequate clothing according to the weather conditions. A backpack with the necessary mountaineering equipment. We also recommend hiking poles. Be sure to bring enough water (1.5 l) and some food (sandwich, snacks, energy bars, fruit), a spare T-shirt, long pants or tracksuit, raincoat, sunscreen, hat, ID card, and health card. For those who will not be able to cross the entire hiking trail to Titov Vrh, there is a possibility to shorten the trail and make an easier tour.
Information about the hiking trail, I group ascent to Titov Vrh at 2748 m: moderate to challenging, total duration about 10-11 hours with breaks, total length about 22 km, with a total ascent and descent of about 1500 m.
Information about the hiking trail, II group: easy, total duration about 6 hours with breaks, total length about 10 km, with a total ascent and descent of about 700 m.
- The Matka Canyon and Šar mountain tour is organized for a minimum of 18 registered passengers.
- In case of changes in the monetary market, as well as changes in the prices of carriers and other service providers, the agency reserves the right to adjust the price of the arrangement.
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 3 days before departure.
- Accommodation: double, triple and quadruple rooms with private bathrooms in the hotel on Popova Šapka.
- Food: one breakfast is provided. It is possible to order meals in restaurants in Skopje, Matka Canyon, and Popova Šapka.
Reservations for the Matka Canyon and Šar Mountains tour:
- When applying, the entire amount or ~ 40%, i.e. 6,600 RSD, is paid, and the rest of 9,800 RSD no later than October 16, 2023.
- Own transportation: in case you come with your own transport, the price of the tour is RSD 12,300 and includes the use of your own transport on local roads. Reservations: At the time of application, the entire amount, or ~ 40%, i.e. 5,000 RSD, is paid, and the rest of 7,300 RSD no later than October 16, 2023.
Trip cancellations by passengers:
- If the Traveler cancels the trip in a timely manner (90 to 45 days), the Organizer has the right to compensation only for the incurred administrative costs.
- 10% if the trip is cancelled 44 to 30 days before the start of the trip,
- 20% if cancelled 29 to 20 days before the start of the trip,
- 40% if cancelled 19 to 15 days before the start of the trip,
- 80% if canceled 14 to 10 days before the start of the trip,
- 90% if canceled 9 to 6 days before the start of the trip,
- 100% if cancelled 5 to 0 days before the start of the trip or during the trip.
The organizer reserves the right to correct prices due to changes in the monetary market or changes in accommodation or transportation prices. The organizer reserves the right to change the travel program (the order of certain contents in the program due to objective circumstances).
This program is valid General travel conditions tourist agency Explore Balkans doo. License number: OTP B-41/2023.
Prvi dan (petak): Beograd – noćna vožnja
- Departure from Belgrade from the parking lot of the municipality of Novi Beograd at 11:50 p.m. Night driving on the highway towards North Macedonia.
Drugi dan (subota): Skoplje – planina Vodno – kanjon Matke – Šar-planina, Popova Šapka
- Arrival to Skoplje in the morning, around 7 o'clock. Break for breakfast and coffee.
- From 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. a walking tour of the city center with a guide where we will visit the old town, the Skopje fortress, the Mother Teresa Memorial House, the Parliament Building, the Monument to Fallen Heroes...
- After that, going to Vodno mountains, which is one of the main picnic spots for the citizens of Skopje. Drive for about 20 minutes to the village Gorno Nerezi where we will visit first Monastery of Saint Panteleimon.
- This is followed by panoramic cable car ride to the Millennium Cross from where there is a panoramic view of the city of Skopje.
- At 12 o'clock departure to Matka canyon, which is a real natural gem. The drive to the Matka canyon takes about 30 minutes.
- Hiking tour and boat ride to the Vodno cave. You will enjoy the autumn colors and experience the beauty of the canyon in the best possible way.
- Break for a drink and lunch at one of the restaurants on the water.
- At 4 p.m. departure to Popova Šapka on Šar mountain. Hotel accommodation.
- Free time for socializing and using hotel facilities (spa, sauna, swimming pool).
Treći dan (nedelja): Planinarenje na Šari - uspon na Titov vrh – Beograd
- For the hiking tour on Shara, the group is divided into two parts. The first group goes on a more difficult trail and the ascent to Titov Vrh, the highest peak of the Šar mountain.
- Getting up early and going on a hiking tour at 5 a.m. Breakfast is provided and will be packed. At the beginning of the trail, we will enjoy the sunrise. The path is long, but the ascent is gradual. The first part of the trail is a meadow, then it goes through a coniferous forest and turns into a rocky part.
- You go along the ridge followed by alternating ascent and descent, first to the peak of Karabunar at 2,600 m, then to the peak of Bakardan at 2,704 m, and finally the final stronger climb to Titov Vrh at 2,748 m. Until 1953, Titov Vrh was called Turčin and it is the second highest peak in North Macedonia, after Golem Korab at 2,764 m.
- A break at the top to rest and enjoy the phenomenal view of the Šara massif and the surrounding mountains.
- The descent to Popova Šapka follows.
- Information about the mountain trail: moderate to challenging, total duration about 10-11 hours with breaks, total length about 22 km, with a total ascent and descent of about 1500 m.
- Beginning of the trail: 1,700 m, Popova Šapka
- Goal: Titov vrh 2,748 m
- Altitude difference: 1048 m
- Trail length: about 22 km
- Water sources - 2 sources, at the very beginning and after the top
- Trail difficulty: moderate to demanding
- The breakfast. Departure to the hiking trail at 8 a.m.
- Information about the mountain trail: easy, total duration about 6 hours with breaks, total length about 10 km, with a total ascent and descent of about 700 m.
- The path is partly meadow, partly goes through a coniferous forest, and then goes out to the ridge from where we will see the peaks of Šara and enjoy the phenomenal vistas.
- After the hiking tours, both groups meet near the hotel.
- The departure for Belgrade is planned around 4 p.m., in order to arrive by 11 p.m., with a note that the exact time of return depends on the road conditions and breaks along the way.