The Ribnica nature monument is located near Mionica. The river Ribnica belongs to the Kolubara basin and springs below the mountain Maljen. It is an extremely clean river that is rich in different types of fish.
The river Gradac and it's gorge represent a real treasure of the Valjevo region. Gradac springs below the mountain Povlen and is one of the cleanest rivers in Europe. The gorge is about 22 km long, picturesque, and extremely rich in wildlife and caves.
A one-day tour where you will relax surrounded by clean rivers, visit beautiful monasteries, enjoy the warm ambiance of the Petrović household and walk through the gorge of the Gradac river!
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Belgrade, the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade|
|DEPARTURE TIME||7.30 h Beograd|
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
Sightseeing of the natural monuments of Ribnica and the monastery of Ribnica
Hiking tour through the gorge of the river Gradac
A guide and the tour organization
|NOT INCLUDED||Ticket for a visit to the Petrović household, the tea house and the stone museum
Lunch and other individual costs
- Equipment: hiking boots or sports shoes with a stronger sole, please bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruits)
- Information about the hiking trail, the gorge of the river Gradac: Length about 6 km, total ascent/descent slight, weight: easy, for all ages. We will tread the river to our knees several times and it is necessary to bring spare shoes.
- For the realization of the tour, it is necessary to have a minimum of 17 entries
- Own transportation: it is possible to go on your own transport on the tour, the price is 900 dinars per person. The hiking trail through the gorge of the river Gradac is not circular, you can leave the car at the monastery Ćelija, and after the tour call a taxi from Valjevo to take you to the car.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here.
The attractions you will see:
Ribnica Monasteryhas been demolished and rebuilt several times, as have most Serbian Orthodox churches. It is dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. Since 2017, the monk Arsenije Jovanović has been coming for the head of the monastery, when they say that he is not an ordinary monk. He is a versatile and charismatic person, he likes to write, paint and sing, and he is also known for his spiritual advice, which he shares with people who turn to him.
Household Petrovićwhere is a house of homemade tea, within which you can follow the biologist during the collection of teas, learn about medicinal plants and their use. There is also a Stone Museum on the farm, where you can see the history of our planet told through an interesting display of minerals, rocks and fossils.
Ribnica Cave was named after the river Ribnica. The cave is the only speleological object in Serbia in which there are 15 species of bats (Chiroptera) protected as a natural rarity. The entrance to the Ribnica Cave is in the shape of an isosceles triangle, 12 m high and 25 m wide. A stream flows through the cave. The floor of the hall is covered with earth and blocks of limestone, but also with gravel, which is deposited here by Ribnica at high waters.
With this program are valid “Explore Serbia” association tour execution rules and general terms of travel, August 2020. The organizer reserves the right to the change program – schedule due to objective circumstances.
For this trip is not provided protection for travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Mionica - Ribnica
- Departure from Belgrade at 7.30 AM from the parking lot at the municipality New Belgrade
- Travel to Mionica, drive about 1.5 hours.
- Arrival to the Ribnica natural monument. This natural monument is adorned with: the Ribnica Monastery dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, the Ribnica River, the Ribnica and Salitrena Caves, and 13 protected linden trees.
- Visit the Ribnica Monastery, then the Ribnica Cave.
- Visit the Household Petrović (optional) where there is a house of homemade tea, as well as a stone museum.
- At 12.30 departure to the gorge of the river Gradac.
Hiking tour through the gorge of the river Gradac
- Arrival to the Ćelije Monastery. A short break for visiting the monastery and refreshments in the ethno village in the gorge itself.
- Hiking tour through the gorge of the river Gradac. The length of the trail is around 6 km, easy without significant ascent, in some places the river is trampled and crossed from bank to bank.
- Description of hiking trail:
- Lenght: oko 6 km
- Altitude difference: slightly
- Category: easy, the trail is not demanding, neither in terms of condition nor technically, the riverbed should be crossed in a few places, the water is not deep
- End of the trail at the Degurić equestrian club.
Lunch at a nearby restaurant
- After the hiking tour, we go for a late lunch at a nearby ethno restaurant.
- Departure to Belgrade, arrival in the evening, around 9 PM.