The village of Zarožje is located in Western Serbia, where the river Rogačica flows and where there is a wooden watermill where, according to legend, the most famous Serbian vampire, Sava Savanović, lived.😊🧛🏼 The Sava Savanović watermill has been restored, and we are taking you on a hiking tour where part of our route will include a visit to this "terrible" place.
The hiking tour goes along the slopes of Mount Povlen and Debelo Brdo. There are beautiful views of the surrounding mountains on all sides. The countryside that we will pass through is especially beautiful and fairytale-like in the month of May.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Belgrade, parking lot in the municipality of Novi Beograd|
|DEPARTURE TIME||7h Belgrade|
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
Hiking tour on the slopes of Povlen
Visit of the Sava Savanović mill
Guide and organization of the tour
Other individual costs
- Equipment: Standard for hiking actions. Hiking shoes or sports shoes with a stronger sole, adequate clothing adapted to the weather conditions. Please bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruit).
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 15 km
- Total ascend/descend: around 400 m
- Category: easy, hiking across meadows and grassy hills, forest and dirt roads
- Duration: around 6 hours with breaks
- For the tour realization, it is necessary a minimum of 18 passengers
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, the price is 4200 dinars.
- Own transportation: in case you come by your own transport, the price of the tour is 2200 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 3200 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
Trip cancellations by passengers:
- In case of cancellation of the trip by the passenger, 5 or more days before the tour date, the Agency retains the amount of 20% of the reservation costs.
- In case the traveler cancels the trip less than 5 days before the trip, the agency reserves the right to the entire amount. In case of replacement by another passenger who is found either by the passenger himself or by the Agency, 90% of the paid amount is returned to the passenger.
- In case of illness of the passenger and cancellation up to 3 days before the tour, the paid money can be returned or the amount can be transferred for another tour organized by the Agency, and the traveler is obliged to send medical documentation about the illness in writing. In case of illness of the traveler and cancellation less than 3 days before the tour, in addition to sending medical documentation about the illness, the traveler is obliged to compensate the Agency for the incurred costs (transportation and travel organization costs), and part of the money can be refunded.
Who was Sava Savanović and why the mill was his refuge and home?
In his short story "After Ninety Years" from the 19th century, the Serbian writer Milovan Glišić described the village of Zarožje and the vampire Sava Savanović. Based on the motives of the story, the first one was created Serbian horror film "Butterfly".
According to one story, Sava was a wealthy cattle trader. He fell in love with a much younger girl, who he proposed, but she rejected him. Blinded by jealousy and anger, he decided to kill the girl. After the locals of Zarožje found out, they beat him to death and buried him outside the local cemetery. But Sava became vampire and started drowning everyone who would come to grind grain in his mill.
For years, the inhabitants of Zarožje lived in fear of the famous vampire, until they found his grave. Sava was stabbed with a hawthorn stake. Legend says that a butterfly escaped from Sava's grave, which would mean that Sava is still visiting his mill.
The old Sava mill on the noisy Rogačica was destroyed for a long time. It was renovated by the local owner of the village cafeteria and it is open for tourists.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo.
According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Makovište
- Departure from Belgrade at 7 am. Travel through Valjevo and Kosjerić to Makovište. Coffee and breakfast break of 30 minutes.
- Arrive in Makovište around 10 am and the starting point from where the hiking tour starts.
Hiking tour to the village of Zarožje and the mill of the vampire Sava Savanović
- The hiking tour starts in the village of Makovište and goes over meadows, hills, forest and dirt roads.
- We will go to the top Lisine at 1126 m. There are beautiful views of the surrounding landscapes of Debeli Brdo, Povlen and Jablanik mountains.
- At the end of the trail, we will visit the restored water mill Serbian vampire Sava Savanović in the village of Zarožje and hear interesting stories about this unusual place, where the Rogačica river roars.
- Information about a hiking trail: length about 15 km, duration about 6 hours with breaks, total ascent and descent about 400 m. The trail belongs to the easy category.
- After a hiking tour, lunch can be arranged nearby.
- Return to Belgrade by 9 PM.