The village of Zarožje is located in the municipality of Bajina Bašta, where the river Rogačica flows and where there is a wooden mill where, according to legend, the most famous Serbian vampire lived, Sava Savanović 😊🧛🏼 The Sava Savanović mill has been renovated, and we will take you on a hiking tour where part of our route will be a visit to this "terrible" place. You will be able to try homemade juice, tea or try "vampiruša" - Sava's plum brandy.
The hiking tour goes along the slopes of the mountain Povlen and Debelo brdo. There are beautiful views of the surrounding mountains on all sides.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Novi Sad, near Lokomotiva
Belgrade, parking lot in the municipality of Novi Beograd
|DEPARTURE TIME||5.30h Novi Sad
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
Visit of the Sava Savanović mill
Guide and organization of the tour
Transportation from Novi Sad
Other individual costs
- Equipment: Standard for hiking actions. Hiking shoes or sports shoes with a stronger sole, adequate clothing adapted to the weather conditions. Please bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruit).
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 15 km
- Total ascend/descend: around 400 m
- Category: easy, hiking across meadows and grassy hills, forest and dirt roads
- Duration: about 5-6h with breaks
- For the tour realization, it is necessary a minimum of 18 passengers
- In organized transportation, it is mandatory to wear protective masks.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, the price is 2800 dinars.
- Transportation from Novi Sad: surcharge is 1000 dinars.
- Own transportation: in case you come by your own transport, the price of the tour is 1100 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 1700 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 3 days before departure.
Who was Sava Savanović and why the mill was his refuge and home?
In his short story "After Ninety Years" from the 19th century, the Serbian writer Milovan Glišić described the village of Zarožje and the vampire Sava Savanović. Based on the motives of the story, the first one was created Serbian horror film "Butterfly".
According to one story, Sava was a wealthy cattle trader. He fell in love with a much younger girl, who he proposed, but she rejected him. Blinded by jealousy and anger, he decided to kill the girl. After the locals of Zarožje found out, they beat him to death and buried him outside the local cemetery. But Sava became vampire and started drowning everyone who would come to grind grain in his mill.
For years, the inhabitants of Zarožje lived in fear of the famous vampire, until they found his grave. Sava was stabbed with a hawthorn stake. Legend says that a butterfly escaped from Sava's grave, which would mean that Sava is still visiting his mill.
The old Sava mill on the noisy Rogačica was destroyed for a long time. It was renovated by the local owner of the village cafeteria and it is open for tourists.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo.
According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Makovište
- Departure from Belgrade at 7 am. Travel through Valjevo and Kosjerić to Makovište. Coffee and breakfast break of 30 minutes.
- Arrive in Makovište around 10 am and the starting point from where the hiking tour starts.
Hiking tour to the village of Zarožje and the mill of the vampire Sava Savanović
- The hiking tour starts in the village of Makovište and goes over meadows, hills, forest and dirt roads.
- We go to the peak Lisine at 1126 m. There are beautiful views of the surrounding landscapes of Debelo brdo and the mountains Povlen and Jablanik.
- At the end of the trail, we will visit the renovated mill of the Serbian vampire Sava Savanović and hear interesting stories about this unusual place, where the river Rogačica roars. You will have the opportunity to try home-made products and drinks, including plum brandy "rakija vampiruša".
- After a hiking tour, lunch can be arranged nearby.
- Return to Belgrade by 9 PM.