Price of the tour
The Deliblato sandstone is the largest continental sandstone in Europe, created by the retreat of the Pannonian Sea. It is also referred to as the European Sahara. Deposits of sand and dunes with an average height of 70 to 200 meters, on an area of 35,000 hectares, make this area special and rare. It is located in southern Banat, between the Danube River and the southwestern slopes of the Carpathian Mountains. It was named after the village of Deliblato in the municipality of Kovin.
It is home to many endemic species of plants and animals that are rare or endangered in Europe and around the world. Specific ecological conditions have created distinctive steppe vegetation, rare plant species, such as the Banat peony, sedge, and sand immortelle. About 40 plant species of the Deliblato Sandstone have the status of natural rarities. It has been declared a Special Nature Reserve and at the national level represents a natural asset of special importance that belongs to the 1st category of protection.
In early autumn, the special beauty of the sandstone is given by the woody shrub Royal Purple (Cotinus coggygria), which turns a fiery red color in autumn. On this tour, we will go on a hiking trail, where we will enjoy the fiery colors of the miraculous Royal Purple and the beauty of the Deliblato Sandstone.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Novi Sad, Merkator Shopping center
Belgrade, the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade
|DEPARTURE TIME||5.30h (Novi Sad)
7 h (Beograd)
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation
Hiking tour with a guide
Ticket for the special nature reserve "Deliblato sands"
Visit to the rural household Skorenovac
Transportation from Novi Sad
Other individual costs
- Equipment for the tour Deliblato Sandsstone colors of Royal Purple: standard for hiking tours, hiking shoes or sneakers with a stronger sole, adequate clothing in accordance with the weather. Backpack, enough water and some food (fruit, snacks…)
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 15 km
- Total ascend/descend: around 200 m
- Category: easy, hiking on forest sandy roads
- Duration: about 5 hours with breaks
- For the tour realization, it is necessary a minimum of 18 passengers
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, price is 3200 dinars.
- Transportation from Novi Sad: surcharge is 1000 dinars.
- Own transportation: in case you come by your own transport, the price of the tour is 1800 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 2400 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo. According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Deliblato Sands
- Departure from Novi Sad at 5.30
- Departure from Belgrade at 7h
- Journey to the Čardak educational center in Deliblato Sandstone
Hiking tour in the Deliblato Sandstone
- Around 9:00 a.m. departure for a hike along a circular path through the beautiful landscapes of Deliblato Sandstone. The trail leads along sandy forest roads, partly through coniferous forest. A special beauty in early autumn is given by the windy red colors of the woody plant Royal Purple (Cotinus coggygria).
- The length of the trail is about 15 km, with no major ascend and high altitude differences. We will pass the trail in about 4 to 5 hours with breaks.
Rural household Skorenovac
- After the hike, we go to the village of Skorenovac, which is located near Kovin. The majority of Hungarians live in the village, and rural tourism has been increasingly developed in recent years. We will visit the rural household that dates back to the 18th century, where we will learn about the traditions and customs of this village. The rural household has authentic furniture and ambiance, agricultural machines and carts that were once used. In the native house there is an exhibition of paintings by local artists, as well as a souvenir shop.
- In Skorenovac, it is possible to organize a lunch with Vojvodina specialties.
- Return to Belgrade where we arrive no later than 9 pm.