The Pešter Plateau is a karst plateau in southwestern Serbia, at an altitude of 1100 to 1250 meters. It is the largest field in Serbia, and it is among the highest in the Balkans. There is a harsh mountain climate, with harsh Siberian winters, where numerous rare and endangered plant and animal species have found their habitat even in such conditions.
A combination of culture and tradition, east and west, nature and cultural and historical monuments, gastronomy and wonderful people. If you are a lover of true and real values, then you are the right person to visit Pešter. Strange stories circulate about the green plateau, surrounded by 7 mountains. They say that there used to be a lake where a three-headed dragon lived and that it was the one that Saint George killed, and they also say that there is buried treasure under Trojan Hill.
On this tour, we will go on a hiking tour to the top of Trojan and the source of Djurđevica, we will also visit Sjenica. In addition to the incredible nature, we will get to know the cultural and historical values of this region and try the Pešter specialties.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Belgrade, the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade|
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation from Belgrade
Sightseeing in Sjenica
Hiking tour on the Pešter Plateau with a local guide-ranger of the special reserve
Ticket for the special nature reserve "Pešter field"
Tour coordinator, sightseeing according to the itinerary and the tour organization
Other individual costs
- Equipment for the Pešter Plateau tour: Sports shoes with a stronger sole, adequate clothing according to the weather conditions. A backpack with essentials for a one-day tour. Be sure to bring enough water (1.5 l) and some food (one meal-sandwich, snacks, energy bars, fruit), a spare t-shirt, long pants, raincoat, sunscreen, cap, ID card and health card.
- Trail information:
- Length: 9 km in total
- Total ascend/descend: 300 m
- Category: easy
- Duration: from 3h-4h with breaks
- For the realization of the tour, a minimum of 19 registered passengers is required.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, cena iznosi 5000 dinara.
- Own transportation: own transport is not possible for this tour.
- In case of unfavorable weather conditions or an insufficient number of registered passengers, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
- Photos used: Sabahudin Abdagić, Pešter – Vushkukur, CC BY-SA 3.0, Pester Plateau and Pester Plateau in Serbia– Zcvetkovic, CC BY-SA 4.0.
Belgrade - Sjenica
- Departure from the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade at 5 am.
- A 30-minute coffee/breakfast break on the way. Arrival in Sjenica by 10am.
- A tour of the center of Sjenica lasting about 45 minutes (promenade, sebilj). We will also visit the Sultan Valida mosque from the XIX century. Architecturally, it is one of the most beautiful Islamic monuments in Serbia. It is the foundation of Sultan Abdul Hamid II. This monument represents the golden era of Sjenica, the time when Sjenica was the seat of Sandzak - the administrative area in the Ottoman Empire.
Hiking tour of the Pešter Plateau
- Transfer to the Pešter field special nature reserve, where the hiking tour starts.
- The hiking path goes to the hill Trojan at 1340 m after which we descend to izvora Djurđevica where, according to tradition, Saint George killed the dragon. Then it leads on to Pešter lake in Karajukića Bunari and continues to the bridge of the river Boroštica, which flows into the mentioned lake.
- During the hiking tour, you will have the opportunity to get to know a large part of the Peštar plateau, the way of life of the Peštar locals. We will also visit Pešter's katuns. From the perimeter of the reserve, you will see the smallest nature reserve bordering Pešter field, Gutavica popularly known as The Haunted forest which has an interesting legend that you will hear about. It continues to the village of Djerekare, where the visit follows The Lonely tree, the most beautiful and oldest in Pešter, which, according to legend, gives positive energy. A short break awaits us here, and then we will return to the road through the Pešter plain.
- Information about the hiking trail: easy, for all ages, 9 km long, total ascent 300 m, duration about 3 to 4 hours with breaks.
Gastronomic pleasure in Sjenica
- After the hike, a trip to Sjenica to an ethnic restaurant, where you can try some of Sjenica's specialties. Sjenica cheese is one of the most famous in the Balkans, while lamb and veal are of exceptional quality. Pester is known for its traditional products, such as sudzuk (a type of sausage) and buckwheat dishes.
- The return to Belgrade is planned around 11 pm.