Avala is a Šumadija mountain and one of the symbols of Belgrade. With the highest peak of 511 m, dense forests of deciduous trees, it is an ideal place to escape to nature. About 20 km away from Belgrade is one of the favorite picnic spots of citizens of Belgrade.
Avala is a protected natural asset with about 600 plant species. In addition to medicinal plant species, some plants are natural rarities, such as zanovet, golden and zelenika. It is well wooded with wild trees, while part of it is under a planted pine forest.
The word avala is of oriental origin and comes from Arabic word havala, which means viewpoint. Back in Roman times, there was a military fortress on top of this mountain, in the same place in the Middle Ages there was the Serbian town of Žrnov, and today there is a monument to the Unknown Hero. At the top is the Avalski Tower, about 200 meters high, with a lookout point offering a beautiful view of Šumadija.
For many, it is a complete unknown that at the foot of Avala there is a lake called Bela Reka. On this trip, you will see exactly where it is. On a 16 km long hiking tour from Ripanj village Bela Reka, via Pinosava, to the "Čarapićev Brest" mountain lodge, you will enjoy the most beautiful viewu of Avala. The hiking trail leads through preserved forests of different species of oak, beech, cherry, ash and many others. You will enjoy the clean air, the smell and the sounds of nature.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Novi Sad, near Lokomotiva
The parking lot at the municipality New Belgrade
|DEPARTURE TIME||6.00h Novi Sad
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by bus from Belgrade
Hiking tour on Avala
A guide and the tour organization
Other individual costs
Transportation from Novi Sad (surcharge is 1200 dinars)
- Equipment for the Avala hiking tour: Deep hiking shoes with Vibram soles or deep snow shoes/boots, backpack, layered clothing, adapted to the weather conditions (for winter conditions - hat, gaiters, gloves), we recommend poles, bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruit) .
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 16 km
- Total ascend/descend: around 450 m
- Category: easy
- Duration: about 5 to 6 hours with breaks
- Author of the trail: Vlada Stajić
- For the realization of the Avala hiking tour, a minimum of 30 registrants is necessary.
- Due to winter conditions, possible deep snow and mud, the trail is not recommended for children under 10 years old.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, the price is 3500 dinars.
- Transportation from Novi Sad: for the organization of transportation from Novi Sad, a minimum of 10 passengers is required. The surcharge for transportation from Novi Sad is 1,200 dinars.
- Own transportation: for the Avala hiking tour, your own transport is not possible, because the starting point and end point of the hike are not the same.
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
Trip cancellations by passengers:
- In case of cancellation of the trip by the passenger, 5 or more days before the tour date, the Agency retains the amount of 20% of the reservation costs.
- In case the traveler cancels the trip less than 5 days before the trip, the agency reserves the right to the entire amount. In case of replacement by another passenger who is found either by the passenger himself or by the Agency, 90% of the paid amount is returned to the passenger.
- In case of illness of the passenger and cancellation up to 3 days before the tour, the paid money can be returned or the amount can be transferred for another tour organized by the Agency, and the traveler is obliged to send medical documentation about the illness in writing. In case of illness of the traveler and cancellation less than 3 days before the tour, in addition to sending medical documentation about the illness, the traveler is obliged to compensate the Agency for the incurred costs (transportation and travel organization costs), and part of the money can be refunded.
- Photos used: Aleksandar Lakic, Aval tower view from the monument to the Unknown Hero CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons, Jeff Attaway, View from Avala Mountain
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo.
According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Novi Sad - New Belgrade - Avala
- Departure from Novi Sad at 6:00 a.m. near Locomotiva.
- Departure from Belgrade at 7:30 a.m. from the parking lot of the municipality of New Belgrade. Traveling on the highway to Avala and the hamlet of Beli Potok in Ripnje, from where we start our walking tour.
- Short preparation for hiking. Departure for the hike at 8.15 am.
Hiking tour on Avala
- A footpath leads to Lake Bela Reka, where we will take a short photo break. The lake is artificial, about 400 m long and about 100 m wide. It is one of the cleanest lakes in Šumadija, a favorite destination for anglers and, during the summer, a swimming spot for the residents of Ripanj.
- Continue hiking towards Avala via Pinosava and crossing the Topčiderska River in the village of Pinosava. The Topčiderska River originates in the Lipovička Forest on the slopes of Kosmaj and is the only river that originates and flows into the Belgrade area. It is 31 km long and flows into the Sava River.
- Then we go to Sakinac spring at the foot of Avala, where we will take a short break.
- At around 3 pm we go to the top of Avala, where we will visit the Monument to the Unknown Hero and take a break to rest and enjoy the beautiful view. The monument is at the very top of Avala, on the site of the medieval town of Žrnov, and is the work of Ivan Meštrović. It was built in 1934 at the initiative of King Aleksandar I Karađorđević, and in honor of the victims who died in the name of the new state.
- This is followed by a descent to the mountain lodge "Čarapićev Brest" and a break for lunch and a longer rest.
- Information about a hiking trail: the path is 16 km long with a total ascent and descent of about 450 m, it belongs to the easy category. It takes about 5 to 6 hours of hiking. The trail leads mainly through forest roads. You will enjoy the clean air, the smell and the sounds of nature.
- Return by bus back to the municipality of Novi Belgrade and to Novi Sad, where you will arrive no later than 8 p.m.