We will on a unique adventure in Eastern Serbia, we pass through a sandy desert, and then through the canyon of the gold-bearing river Pek. The canyon of the river Pek with its specific flora resembles a rainforest.
Pustinjac or Valja Fundata is the only sandy desert in this part of Europe. It is located near Majdanpek and the village of Debeli Lug. It has an area of several square kilometers and resembles the Egyptian deserts and eastern Sahara in the fineness of its sand. It is located at the very top of the hill which makes it not very easily accessible. The desert has formed due to decades of ore processing in search of gold and copper. The sand of this desert is a consequence of ore flotation.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Novi Sad, by agreement
Belgrade, the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade
|DEPARTURE TIME||5.30h (Novi Sad)
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
Guide, sightseeing according to the program and organization of the tour
Other individual costs
- Equipment for the tour the canyon of the river Pek: Sports shoes with a stronger sole, scarf (in case the wind blows in Pustinjac is necessary due to sand protection), sun protection (hat, cap), summer clothes (part of the trail through the canyon of the river Pek can be passed in a swimming suit), smaller backpack, bring enough water (minimum 1.5 l) and some food (snacks, fruit). The river Pek is trampled on several occasions, the depth of the water varies from year to year, sometimes up to the knees, sometimes up to the thighs, in one part (25-35 m) there is swimming. Bring spare upholstery and shoes.
- Trail information:
- Length: a total of 12 km (of which through the canyon of the river Pek is 3-4 km)
- Total ascend/descend: about 350 m
- Category: moderate
- Duration: around 6 hours with breaks
- The trail includes walking on sand, through the forest, walking on rocks through the water and partly swimming through the river Pek.
- For the realization of the tour, a minimum of 19 registered passengers is required.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, the price is 3700 dinars.
- Transportation from Novi Sad: surcharge is 1000 dinars.
- Own transportation: in case you come by your own transport, the price of the tour is 2100 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 2700 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo.
According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Kučevo - Majdanpek
- Departure from Novi Sad at 5.30
- Departure from Belgrade at 7h
- Travel by highway through Požarevac and Kučevo to Majdanpek, where we arrive around 10 am. We will make one break.
- Departure to the starting point of hiking to the Todorova river, picnic area near Majdanpek.
Treking tour Todor's River - Pustinjac (Valja Fundata)-the canyon of the river Pek-Debeli Lug
- The hiking trail starts from the Todor's river, continues to the sandy desert „Valja Fundata“ and then to the water intake „Pustinjac“, then through the canyon of the Pek River and back to the village of Debeli Lug.
- The canyon of the river Pek is specific for its incredible and unique flora, specific climate which is the closest in its characteristics - rainforests. The canyon runs for 3-4 km.
- Information about a hiking trail: moderate, 12 km long, duration about 6 hours with breaks. The trail includes hiking on the sand, through the forest, hiking on rocks through the water, and partly swimming through the river Pek.
- After the adventure through the desert and the rainforest, there is a well-deserved break at the picnic area in the village of Debeli Lug.
- In agreement with the group, we can organize lunch (catering).
- Return to Belgrade where we arrive around 11 pm.