Old Mountain (Stara Planina) - belongs to the group of mountain ranges, and its main range extends approximately from Zaječar to the Black Sea at a length of about 550 km. Another name for Stara Planina is Balkan, which is how the entire Balkan Peninsula got its name. The total area of the Stara Planina massif, which encompasses Serbia, is 1,802 km² and is a protected natural monument with numerous reserves, waterfalls, and relic plant and animal species.
Stara Planina in autumn is a weekend trip, where you can expect: the wonderful Arbinja rainforest, one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Serbia - Tupavica, the gorges of the Rosomačka River, and a perfect view of Zavojsko Lake. For those who are more agile, there is also a climb to the top of Kopren, which offers phenomenal views. A stay in the old mountain village of Dojkinici will take you back in time, and show the rich tradition and primitive life of our ancestors.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||The parking lot at the municipality New Belgrade|
|DEPARTURE TIME||6 h|
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
One night in the mountain lodge Dojkinci (one of the most modern equipped mountain lodges in Serbia)
Mountaineering tours on Stara planina
Transportation by off-road vehicle in Dojkinci
Sightseeing to the itinerary
|NOT INCLUDED||Food and other individual costs|
- Equipment for the Stara planina tour in autumn: Deep hiking shoes with Vibram soles, and adequate clothing according to the weather conditions. A backpack with the necessary mountaineering equipment. We also recommend hiking poles. Be sure to bring enough water (1.5 l) and some food (sandwich, snacks, energy bars, fruit), a spare T-shirt, long pants or tracksuit, raincoat, sunscreen, hat, ID card, and health card. There is a possibility for easier tours.
Information about mountain trails:
- First day
- Length: 11 km ukupno (7 km + 4 km)
- Total ascend/descend: around 400 m
- Category: easy
- Duration: around 5h with breaks
- Second day
- Length: 18 km
- Total ascend/descend: about 1000 m
- Category: moderate
- Duration: about 7-8 hours with breaks
- Own transportation: in case you come with your own transport, the price of the tour is 7,400 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 8,400 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- The Stara planina tour in autumn is organized for a minimum of 18 registered passengers.
- In case of unfavorable weather conditions or an insufficient number of registered passengers, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
- Food: You organize your own food. Within the Dojkinci mountain lodge there is a professional kitchen where you can prepare food yourself, as well as a restaurant area for dining.
- Accommodation: multi-bed dormitories with shared bathrooms. The mountain lodge is the most modern lodge in Serbia, where comfort is not missing. The home has a dining room, professional kitchen, showers, and women's and men's toilets. There are two double studios with en-suite bathrooms. If someone wants accommodation in a two-bed studio, the surcharge is 800 dinars per person.
- Reservation: upon application, 50% of the total amount is paid, i.e. 4,650 dinars, the rest by October 4, 2023 at the latest.
Trip cancellations by passengers:
- If the Traveler cancels the trip in a timely manner (90 to 45 days), the Organizer has the right to compensation only for the incurred administrative costs.
- 10% if the trip is cancelled 44 to 30 days before the start of the trip,
- 20% if cancelled 29 to 20 days before the start of the trip,
- 40% if cancelled 19 to 15 days before the start of the trip,
- 80% if canceled 14 to 10 days before the start of the trip,
- 90% if canceled 9 to 6 days before the start of the trip,
- 100% if cancelled 5 to 0 days before the start of the trip or during the trip.
The organizer reserves the right to correct prices due to changes in the monetary market or changes in accommodation or transportation prices. The organizer reserves the right to change the travel program (the order of certain contents in the program due to objective circumstances).
This program is valid General travel conditions tourist agency Explore Balkans doo. License number: OTP B-41/2023.
First day (Saturday): Belgrade - Pirot - Zavojsko jezero viewpoint - Rsovci - Rosomački lonci - Dojkinci
- Departure from Belgrade from the parking lot of the municipality of Novi Beograd at 6 a.m
- Journey to Niš and Pirot. Break on the way for coffee and breakfast lasting about 30 minutes.
- Around 10 am we arrive at the starting point of the hiking tour that leads to the Kozji Kamik viewpoint. We start hiking to the viewpoint on Zavoj Lake (7 km in both directions). Kozji kamik is a viewpoint from which there is a great view of Lake Zavoj, below which is the submerged village of Lukanja, as well as all the surrounding stone villages in its vicinity. After a break, rest, and enjoyment, return to the vehicle by the same route.
- We continue by vehicle and after a short drive we reach the village of Rsovci where we will tour the unique the Cave church.
- After visiting the church in this beautiful old mountain village, the road leads us further to the village of Slavinja, where we will go on a hiking trail lasting about 45 minutes to Rosomacka Gorge – Rosomac pot/Slavinja throat which is a geomorphological rarity.
- Next is a 20-minute drive to the village of Dojkinci.
- Accommodation in the mountain hut Dojkinci, which is one of the most modern in Serbia. (dormitories, double rooms, dining room, professional kitchen, showers, ladies' and men's toilets).
- Free time. Overnight.
Second day (Sunday): Arbinje Reserve - Tupavica waterfall - Kopren peak - Ponor - Bodin peak - Dojkinci - Belgrade
- At 7 a.m. transfer by all-terrain vehicles to the starting point of the hiking tour, which is one of the most attractive hiking trails in Stara Planina.
- We enter the Arbinje reserve, where the Dojkinačka river flows with numerous waterfalls and smaller waterfalls flowing into it.
- We will go to the peak of Kopren at 1964 m, then to the karst cove Ponor, Bodina peak at 1484 m and the Tupavica waterfall.
- Tupavica is one of the most beautiful waterfalls on Stara Planina, 15 m high, from which the water flows, and is a tributary of the Dojkinačka river.
- The length of the trail: 18 km, with an ascent of about 1000 m, belongs to the moderate category.
- All those who want an easier trail, can spend time independently and go on an easier trail to the Tupavica waterfall and enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the Dojkinci village.
- After the hiking tour, lunch can be organized in a rural household or a nearby restaurant in the village of Jelovica, where we can try Old Mountain specialties (Pirot cheese, ironed sausages, stuffed peppers, vurda, Old Mountain cheese, homemade brandy).
- Departure for Belgrade in the late afternoon, where we arrive around 11 p.m