Sopotnica is a village in southwestern Serbia, on the territory of the municipality of Prijepolje, located on the western slopes of the mountain Jadovnik. In the area of Sopotnica there is a protected natural monument, the Sopotnica Waterfalls, for which the village is famous. Apart from the Sopotnica River, there are permanent and occasional springs and sources in the karst terrains of this area that form streams.
How did the bigren waterfalls on Sopotnica come about? The Sopotnica River flows through karst terrain, so there is dissolved limestone in its water. In places where the water is agitated, carbon dioxide is released from the limestone, and calcium carbonate is deposited on mosses and leaves. In this way, a yellowish hollow rock is popularly known as tufa. Over several levels of tufa deposits, the waters of the Sopotnica River fall in the form of waterfalls.
On this tour, in the village of gurgling springs and waterfalls, we will take an attractive trail and visit all three waterfalls, which have special strength and power in May. On the hiking trail to the top of Fiulj, you will enjoy phenomenal views of the Lim Valley.
|DEPARTURE LOCATION||Belgrade, the parking lot at the municipality of New Belgrade|
|DEPARTURE TIME||2 AM (Belgrade)|
|INCLUDED IN THE PRICE||Transportation by minibus from Belgrade
Hiking tour on the mountain Jadovnik
Guide, sightseeing according to the program and organization of the tour
Other individual costs
- Equipment for the Sopotnica and Jadovnik waterfalls tour: Deep hiking shoes with a Vibram sole, hiking poles, backpack, layered clothes, adapted to the weather conditions, bring enough water and some food (snacks, sandwiches, fruit).
- Information about a hiking trail:
- Length: 15 km
- Total ascend/descend: oko 550 m
- Category: easy-moderate
- Duration: around 6h-7h with breaks
- For the realization of the Sopotnica waterfalls tour, a minimum of 18 applicants is required.
- Price is for members of "Explore Serbia". You can find membership information here. For those who do not have a membership card, cena iznosi 5900 dinara.
- Own transportation: in case you come with your own transport, the price of the tour is 3400 dinars (with Explore Serbia membership cards) or 4400 dinars (for those who do not have a membership card).
- In case of insufficient number of registered passengers or unfavorable weather conditions, the deadline for notification of postponement or cancellation of the tour is 2 days before departure.
Trip cancellations by passengers:
- In case of cancellation of the trip by the passenger, 5 or more days before the tour date, the Agency retains the amount of 20% of the reservation costs.
- In case the traveler cancels the trip less than 5 days before the trip, the agency reserves the right to the entire amount. In case of replacement by another passenger who is found either by the passenger himself or by the Agency, 90% of the paid amount is returned to the passenger.
- In case of illness of the passenger and cancellation up to 3 days before the tour, the paid money can be returned or the amount can be transferred for another tour organized by the Agency, and the traveler is obliged to send medical documentation about the illness in writing. In case of illness of the traveler and cancellation less than 3 days before the tour, in addition to sending medical documentation about the illness, the traveler is obliged to compensate the Agency for the incurred costs (transportation and travel organization costs), and part of the money can be refunded.
The waterfalls are located in the village, about 20 km from Prijepolje. The Sopotnica Waterfalls natural monument is a protected natural asset based on exceptional morphological, ambient and floristic values. In the bed of the river Sopotnica, which is characterized by a large fall, there are large bends with waterfalls and cascades.
Eight tufa terraces in the upper course of the river stand out as a special natural phenomenon. There are several waterfalls along the river, the largest of which is 25 m. There is a legend that is connected with the creation of Sopotnica waterfalls. The population from Peshter settled in this area around the spring, which soon dried up. They decided to continue with the migration, but a strange voice came from Jadovnik and asked if he should give them water or happiness. They chose water, and that happiness should be created by themselves. And that is why this area is rich in water.
It was founded by the son of Stephen the First-Crowned, King Vladislav in the first half of the 13th century. Around 1235, King Vladislav added another narthex to bury the body of his uncle Saint Sava.
The fact that Sava's body was buried in Mileseva raised the reputation of the monastery, which was in second place in the church hierarchy, right after Studenica. In 1377, King Tvrtko was crowned King of Bosnia and Serbia in Mileseva. The frescoes from Mileseva are characterized by a unique style, and the most beautiful is certainly the fresco Angel on the Tomb of Christ or the White Angel, which is considered a symbol of youth and permanence.
The organizer of the tour is the travel agency Explore Balkans doo. With this program is valid Rulebook on conducting tours by Explore Balkans doo.
According to Article 79 of the Law on Tourism, protection is not provided for one-day tours in terms of travel guarantees.
Belgrade - Mileseva Monastery
- Departure from Belgrade at 2.00 am from the parking lot of the municipality of New Belgrade. Travel by highway to Čačak, then via Užice and Zlatibor to Prijepolje.
- Breaks on the way. Arrival in Mileševa Monastery until 7:00 a.m. Awakening and tour of the monastery from the 13th century, the endowment of King Vladislav, known for the fresco of the White Angel. After visiting the monastery, another 30-minute drive awaits us to Sopotnica.
Sopotnica waterfalls and hiking on Jadovnik
- The starting point of the hike is in the Sopotnica settlement near the mountain lodge, from there it continues to Middle and Upper waterfalls which are about 1 km from the settlement.
- After enjoying and taking photos next to the waterfall, we continue hiking through Grabovača to the top of Fiulj (1321 m).
- Beautiful viewpoints, the panorama of the Lim valley and the wealth of water in this area will complete our experience.
- The ultimate goal of the adventure is the summit Sava's Krš (1465 m).
- On the way back, you can visit the old authentic mills that are a feature of this area, as well as the Lower Sopotnica waterfalls.
- Information about a hiking trail: The hiking trail belongs to the medium-light category, it is about 15 km long, with about 550 m of ascent and descent. It is crossed in about 6h-7h with breaks.
A lunch in a rural household
- After the hiking tour, lunch will be organized in a village household.
- We will enjoy delicious home-made food and the authentic ambience of a real rural household typical of this part of Serbia.
- Departure for Belgrade in the late afternoon, where we arrive in the evening, around 22:00.